Arthur Guinness is left £100 (about $147 US dollars) in the will of Archbishop Price. Three years later he sets up business as a brewer in Leixlip, County Kildare, just 17km (about 11 miles) from Dublin.
Construction begins on the Grand Canal at James’s Street, Dublin, allowing access by water to Shannon Harbor and Limerick. This waterway will later become vital to the brewery in the transport of casks and raw materials, remaining important well into the 20th century (as shown here).
Arthur Guinness signs a 9,000-year lease on an unused brewery at St. James’s Gate, Dublin. It costs him an initial £100 (about $147 US dollars) with an annual rent of £45 (about $66 US dollars) - this includes crucial water rights. The brewery covers four acres and consists of a copper, a kieve, a mill, two malthouses, stabling for 12 horses and a loft to hold 200 tons of hay. Arthur begins brewing porter and ale.
The first export shipment of six and a half barrels of GUINNESS® beer leaves Dublin on a sailing vessel bound for England.
On 16th May a Dublin Corporation committee & sheriff are sent to cut off and fill in the channel from which the Brewery draws its water. Arthur Guinness is forced to brandish a pickaxe to protect his supply. The dispute is finally settled in 1784 when water rights are granted for 8,975 years.
The first major brewery expansion takes place. The present day vathouses 1 and 2 are built during this expansion - they first appear on a map in 1820.
An engraving of a man sitting beside a cask of Guinness porter, drinking from a tankard appears in “The Gentleman’s Magazine.”
Arthur Guinness brews the last Dublin Ale as the decision is made to concentrate solely on the production of his increasingly popular porter. This page from the Brewing Ledger records some of the last ale brewing at St. James's Gate.
This porter is a precursor to modern day GUINNESS® Foreign Extra Stout.