Chef Barb Batiste is a Los Angeles-based chef that draws inspiration from her Filipino heritage. Her family's Filipino Chicken Adobo recipe brings the herbal, slightly floral aroma of her childhood home together with the savory and slightly sweet flavors known to the Philippines. The recipe is a part of the Guinness Flavor Series, featuring chefs from a variety of cultural backgrounds who show how Guinness can unlock unique flavors and new possibilities while cooking at home.
1. Combine chicken, soy sauce, and garlic in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour. Note: the longer the time, the better flavor
3. Heat oil in a small stock pot. When the oil is hot enough, pan-fry the marinated chicken for 2 minutes per side.
4. Pour-in the remaining marinade, including garlic. Add water. Bring to a boil
5. Add dried bay leaves and whole peppercorn. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken gets tender
6. Add vinegar. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add in the sugar, and salt. Stir and turn the heat off. Serve hot with white rice.