Chef Corwin Hemming is a chef of Jamaican heritage, who currently resides in New York City. His Guinness Jamaican Black Cake is a spin on the Caribbean Black cake classic,and is an homage to his Jamiacan roots. The dried fruit used for the cakes is soaked in Guinness Extra Stout, as opposed to the traditional red wine. The recipe is a part of the Guinness Flavor Series, featuring chefs from a variety of cultural backgrounds who show how Guinness can unlock unique flavors and new possibilities while cooking at home.
1. In a container, add the dried fruit and cover with equal parts of Guinness Extra Stout and spiced rum. Allow the fruit to soak for at least 2-3 days before using.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and fill a shallow baking pan with water and place at the bottom of the oven.
3. In a standing mixer on high, cream the butter, brown sugar and sugar together until fully dissolved, fluffy and the color changes from yellow butter to white. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the side of the mixing bowl to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated. Turn the speed down to low and slowly incorporate one egg at a time.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Slowly start to incorporate the flour into the butter mixture, then add the vanilla and almond extract. Scrape down again using a rubber spatula to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated well.
5. Add the soaked fruit, 1/2 cup of the 1 cup of Guinness Extra Stout and 1/2 cup of the 1 cup rum (reserve the remaining 1/2 cup to finish the cake at the end) to the mixture and fold in using a rubber spatula.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan lined with parchment paper (8-10 inch pan is preferable). Place the cake into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 200 degrees F and finish for 1-1.5 hours or until a tooth pick in the center comes out clean when tested.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Using some of the rum and beer mixture, pour over the cake to finish. This will ensure your cake is deliciously moist and full of flavor.